Are you feeling stressed?
It seems everywhere I look there is another article about how so many people feel stressed.
A survey in the Huffington Post, for example, showed that 91% of people felt stressed in March, and 77% felt stressed weekly or even more often.
The survey showed that most people were stressed about having too little sleep, too much work (or not enough), too little time and not enough money. Illness (worry about weight) and relationships were also common stresses.
We know stress leads to health issues, from anxiety, fatigue and headaches, to cancer, heart disease and autoimmunity, so what can we do to stay healthy under stress?
The first step is to know if you're stressed.
Here is a list of some of the ways patients describe to me that they are stressed:
- Worry and anxiety about life, work, health, family
- Find yourself searching on the internet (late at night) about your health
- Getting less then 8 hours of sleep at night
- Can't turn your brain off
- Feeling overwhelmed
- Long lists of things to do
- Stiff and achey all over
- Catching colds, or other infections, over and over
- Feeling not yourself
- Emotional, weepy, volatile, irritable
- Digestive distress, pain, bloating and/or bowel changes
- "I don't know what to do, or where to begin"
- "I have too much to do and too little time to do it in"
- Headaches, migraines
- Lightheaded, near-fainting, and/or increased sweating
How do you know that you are stressed? Please do share your individual experience with stress. Email me or post in my Empowering Wellness Facebook group.
Once you know how your body is telling you that you are stressed, the next step is to identify ways to turn off or rebalance your body's stress response.
Empowering wellness always,DONIELLE WILSON, ND is a natural health expert and Naturopathic Doctor with a private practice in New York City, Port Jefferson, NY, and Connecticut. She specializes in showing women, men and children how to achieve their wellness goals by finally getting the answers they’ve been looking for to their most perplexing health challenges. To learn more about Dr. Doni and her unique approach to achieving health naturally, please visit Dr. Doni today.